Having a basic understanding of various types of carpet construction will help you find the best carpet for your specific needs. For example, some types of carpeting do better in high traffic areas than others. Some carpets have a more casual appearance while others look more formal. Freed’s staff will discuss these features with you to help you come to an educated selection.
Cut pile carpets are one of the most popular types of carpet. This carpet is made by cutting looped carpet fibers at the top leaving yarn bundles standing straight up. By pre-shearing cut pile carpet numerous times, it will create a more luxurious appearance. Types of cut pile carpet include textured and frieze.
- Most popular
- Made by cutting looped carpet fibers at the top, leaving yarn bundles standing straight up
- Luxurious appearance
- Ideal For:
- Creating a luxurious appearance and long lasting beauty
- High-traffic areas due to density
Textured Cut Pile
Textured cut pile are favored carpets due their soft feel and its suitability for informal areas. Textured carpets are tightly twisted and heat set for medium to heavy durability. Textures can come in solid looks or multi-colored looks that cover-up tracks and footprints.
- Favored due to soft feel and suitability for informal areas
- Tightly twisted and heat set for medium to heavy durability
- Textured to cover tracks and footprints
Frieze Cut Pile
Frieze is another cut pile carpet that is highly twisted and suitable for high traffic, casual areas. The fibers are shorter and due to the twisting, tend to curl in different directions. This makes friezes durable and able to disguise footprints and vacuum marks.
- Highly twisted and suitable for high traffic, casual areas
- Fibers are shorter and curl in different directions
- Results in durability and disguises footprints and vacuum marks
Carpet is made by weaving loops of yarn into carpet backing at both ends. Loop pile is very durable and ideal in high traffic areas. There are different types of loop pile carpet~level loop (an example is Berber) and multi-level loop.
- Made by weaving loops of yarn into carpet backing at both ends
- Extremely durable and ideal for high traffic areas
- Ideal For:
- Casual look with low maintenance and long lasting durability
Level Loop Pile
Level Loop carpet has even height loops woven into the carpet backing. The higher the loop the more luxurious the feel and appearance. Berber is a type of level loop carpet made with thicker yarns, giving it an even a higher durability. Berbers can be made from fibers such as wool, nylon or olefin.
- Has even height loops woven into the carpet backing
- Results in more luxurious feel and appearance
- Berber is a type of level loop made with thicker yarns, resulting in even higher durability
- Berbers can be made from wool, nylon or olefin
Multi-Level Loop Pile
Multi-Level Loop is made like level loop carpet except that it is made with varying loop heights (usually two or three heights) Multi-level loop carpet has a more textured look and can also be woven to have a pattern.
- Made with varying loop heights
- Results in more textured look and can also be woven into a pattern
Carpet Fiber Comparison
Selection, Value and Service is our commitment. Don’t hesitate to contact us with any questions.